Individual will be responsible for day-to-day accounting for the Western Asset Mortgage Capital Corporation, a publically traded mortgage REIT.
We are looking for an individual who is highly motivated, up-beat and enjoys working in a team-oriented environment. The optimal candidate must have excellent quantitative and research skills and exhibits a strong knowledge of GAAP.
What you will do
- Responsible for monthly and quarterly closes of entity level workpapers
- Review investment workpapers, reconcile account balances to supporting schedules, and prepare supporting work papers and adjusted trial balance on both a US GAAP basis and income tax basis.
- Recording of necessary journal entries
- Validation of financial information maintained by third party service providers
- Assist in preparation of financial statements, footnotes and necessary support for clients’ Form 10-K, Forms 10-Q and quarterly earnings release
- Regular interaction with members of the structured products portfolio management team
- Additional duties to be assigned\
What you will bring
- CPA preferred, significant progress towards CPA certification helpful
- General understanding of public company financial reporting
- General understanding of mortgage REIT accounting and operations
- Strong accounting skills and understanding of complex investment products, in particular, residential and commercial mortgages, MBS, CMBS, swaps and other structured products
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal required.
- Ability to work in a team oriented environment
- 6 plus years of related work experience
- Excellent computer skills and a working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word are required. Knowledge of Yardi and/or Wdesk a plus
- BS/BA degree in Accounting
About Western Asset
At Western Asset we’re saying hello to the future. Committed to being the leading fixed-income investment management firm in the world, we’re investing in new technologies, methodologies and markets. We’re also investing in our people. Our business is guided by a belief in doing the right thing: that if we treat our clients and colleagues with fairness and respect, success will follow. We’re building on our reputation and resources with an entrepreneurial approach that drives innovation. Every day is an opportunity for us to get better by making the most of the possibilities that our people and ideas can bring.